Sunday, August 25, 2013

Awesome Day Twenty-Four: Costume Parties

I don't dress up enough.  I kinda forgot how fun it is to be someone else for a night, or just to wear something crazy and unusual.  I used to be in plays and musicals and wear costumes and heavy make-up pretty often.  Now it's only at halloween--and even then, I've been out of the country for the last two years when halloween rolled around.  Super sad.

On Awesome Day Twenty-Four, however, our friend was having his thirtieth birthday party:  A thrift store costume party, meant to celebrate his insistence that turning 30 didn't mean you have to "get married and get fat."  Basically, it was an excuse to drink and celebrate while wearing Awesome clothing.  Can't hate that.

The party description pretty much tells it all.  We were supposed to dress up in clothing we bought at a thrift store, which is a pretty easy task here on the east side of the city.  Thrift stores are on every block; people generally dress in thrift store clothing daily.  I guess the asterisk was that we should get clothes that we wouldn't normally rock.  (And even then, on this side of the city, anything goes, so who's to say  it's a purchase made in vain?)

I found myself a nice marching band hat and a 1950s style tropical dress (they may not have matched, but they sure were fun to wear together).  Cesar got himself a janitor (Or was it pilot? Or maybe an astronaut?) jumpsuit.


We finished off the night at the Short Stop (of course) where photobooth ensued (of course).  And then we got tacos from my favorite taco truck (Ariza's in Echo Park, they are hands down the best.)

You guys, it was saturday night--and I didn't have to bartend for the first saturday in weeks.   

What else was I supposed to do?  

No comments:

Post a Comment