Thursday, August 8, 2013

Awesome Day Seven: A Celebration of LA Street Style

You all may be aware of my obsession with the clothing company Free People.  I devour their blog.  I stare at their fashion spreads.  I spend an inappropriate amount of time in their store considering my paychecks.  I love the way their store looks and feels and smells.  I even like their window displays.

More than clothes, what Free People really sells is a lifestyle--one that I, admittedly, have fallen for and dream about.  They sell a kind of laid-back, world-traveled, yogi-turned-DIYer, trendy-without-being-trendy, polaroid-taking, kombucha-making, thrift-shop-shopping (but not really, because that shirt was $80) lifestyle that just screams You Wish You Were This Cool.  And I love it.  I eat it up, despite being fully aware that I am just falling for another marketing ploy that will inevitably leave me broke and wanting more.  But at least I will look good in the process.

Despite all the capitalism behind it, Free People is pretty Awesome about appreciating their customers.  They keep a rad blog full of fashion tips, craft ideas, and recipes.  And every so often they throw some pretty fun parties and get-togethers, free of charge to their loyal fans.  Now that is something I can wholeheartedly get behind (and it makes that fantastic $280 dress I bought seem somehow like a better deal).

Enter Awesome Day Seven: Essentially a giant plug for Free People, yes, but also truly an Awesome night.  What began with a ridiculously great parking spot (I'm starting to think 30 Days of Awesome should be renamed 30 Days of Awesome Parking, but we'll see how the rest of the month plays out) turned into the the kind of evening that really defines Hollywood.  A night meant to celebrate LA street style, it was filled with beautiful people dressed in supercool outfits, jams by a "Best New Indie Band" band, acrobatic yogis, sparkling lights amidst an outdoor courtyard, lists at the door, bouncers, and booze.   (I should also reiterate that it was all free, including the taco truck--which, as I've already said before, makes anything instantly more Awesome.)




Top it all off with a DIY mini-class on how to dip dye clothes, and I was pretty satisfied with my Awesome for the day.  And stay tuned, because I have a tiiiiiiny feeling there may be a whole Day of Awesome devoted to a front yard dip dye party coming up soon.  Get your white shirts ready, friends.



Big thanks to Free People for being Awesome.  As soon as people start tipping bartenders better, I'll be back.




In other Awesome news for the day:  A man has taught his dog to do yoga with him.  Be still, my heart.


No comments:

Post a Comment