Monday, August 19, 2013

Awesome Day Eighteen: My First Music Video (with Jesus)

Continuing on the musical theme for the weekend, I set off on the morning of Awesome Day Eighteen into Hollywood to help shoot a music video for a friend of a friend (who is now a friend of mine, I suppose).  This was a first for me; dancing isn't really my "thing".  But when an opportunity to be a "sinner in the Den of Sin" in a "parody Christian rock song" comes along...well, you just don't pass that up.

My friend Samara had posted a Facebook shout-out a few days back to anyone interested in the shoot.  This is relatively normal in LA; I see posts to participate in something entertainment-related a few times a month through friends.  Despite all the actors in this city, I guess it's always hard to find people.

Normally, I don't do these things.  I don't consider myself an actress (despite all those chorus roles I kept landing in high school and community theater), and I definitely don't consider myself fit for a music video.  But because it is 30 Days of Awesome (and because I've been meaning to hang out with Samara for a while), I decided to give it a go.

And boy am I glad I did.

I came armed with a variety of sequin-filled outfits, ripped stockings, and heels not made for dancing (my best interpretation of "sparkly nightclub attire"), not knowing what to expect.  In my mind, the day would most likely include some kind of clumsy whirl at synchronized movement by yours truly, and an awkward attempt to look sexy on camera, while everyone around me was polished and comfortable with their on-camera presence.  It was a good prediction--but instead of being mortifying and scarring, it was FUN.  Like super fun.  Like why-don't-I-roll-out-of-bed-once-a-week-to-do-this-kinda-thing fun.


To say that the day was a blast would be a shameful understatement.  It was hilarious.  It was spontaneous.  It was highly entertaining and over-the-top ridiculous.  Anytime you assemble a group of twelve strangers and a man dressed as Jesus to learn and record choreographed dance moves in a matter of minutes (all the while being told we were aiming for "a rejected episode of Glee" kinda feel), you can be sure there is something truly Awesome happening.

We filmed in the basement an old apartment building.  It was hotter than hot inside, with sweat dripping off faces and the sweet smell of body odor clinging to the thick, stale air.  But it didn't matter.  As far as I was concerned, it was a pretty accurate portrayal of a Den of Sin (or Hades, I suppose), and the moisture on my face would just add a kind of glow on camera (this is the same thing I tell myself while filming in tropical countries, too).


With all the hilarity, it was still an organized and professional chaos--kudos to the team assembled for that.  In between off-color religious jokes and even a brief (yet contained) fire incident, we were done, choreography and all, in a matter of hours.  Paid in Two Buck Chuck and chocolate (not bad for a day off), I left with a new appreciation for grabbing odd opportunities by the horns and dancing til you can't dance no more.

Oh, the life lessons of Awesome.

The song, called "Holy Roller," is performed by Christian rock recording artist Phil Little and his band the Little Sins, produced by Zach Villa.  The song, and the music video, should be released sometime in the next two months.  It's going to be Awesome.

Stay tuned...

No comments:

Post a Comment